Q. Who can submit a Public Records Request?

  • Public records are open to inspection at all times during the office hours of the City Clerk’s department. Every person has a right to inspect any public record, except for non-disclosable records per Govt. Code Section 7922.525 (formerly Govt. Code Section 6253(a)).

Q. What kind of records are exempt from disclosure?

  • The Public Records Act’s fundamental precept is that governmental records shall be disclosed to the public, upon request, unless there is a legal basis not to do so. The right of access to public records under the PRA is not unlimited; it does not extend to records that are exempt from disclosure.

Some examples of exemptions:

  • Draft documents that are NOT retained in the ordinary course of business, if the public interest in withholding clearly outweighs the public interest in disclosure. (Govt. Code Section 7927.500 (formerly Govt. Code Section 6254(f))
  • Records prepared for pending litigation (Govt. Code Section 7927.700 (formerly Govt. Code Section 6254(b))
  • Personnel files (Govt. Code Section 7927.700 (formerly Govt. Code Section 6254(c))
  • Law enforcement investigation files [with certain required disclosures] (Govt. Code Sections 7923.600-7923.625 (formerly Govt. Code Section 6254(f))
  • Personal financial data on applications for permits or licenses (Govt. Code Section 7925.005 (formerly Govt. Code Section 6254(n)).

Q. What if I no longer need the requested document?

  • Log into your account and send a message notifying the City you no longer need the requested document.

Q. Do I have to give a reason for my request?

  • No, but records requests must be focused, specific and reasonably clear, so that the City can decipher what record(s) are being sought.

Q. When will I receive a response to my Public Records Request?

  • The City has (10) ten days to respond to requests for records, and under specified circumstances can extend the response time up to an additional (14) fourteen days.

Q. How do I access my request once I’ve submitted it?

  • You will need to create an account with a password once you have submitted a public records request.

Q. What fees are involved in making a Public Records Request?

  • Depends, hard copies are $0.10 per page and certified copies are $40.90 per document.

Q. Who should I contact if I have questions for a specific document?

  • Contact the City Clerk’s Records Coordinator at (909) 364-2631 or (909) 364-2620.


Additional City of Chino Hills Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) can be found by clicking HERE